Friday, September 18, 2015

September 2015 Birchbox: The Anniversary Edition

Can you believe Birchbox has been around for 5 years now? Congratulations to them, that's incredible! And this box marks my one year anniversary with Birchbox as well, so that's pretty awesome too. For those who don't know, Birchbox is a beauty subscription service, for $10 a month you will get 4-5 deluxe sized (though sometimes full sized) skincare, hair care, and makeup items tailored to your beauty needs. And right now, if you use my link you can get your box for $5!


The box this month was actually designed three Birchbox subscribers, Debbie Savage, Sara Qadeer, and Angela Coppola. If I remember correctly there was a competition to design this box design, and I think it looks great. They even made tote bags with this design on it you can purchase from the shop.


That's a nice, full box this month. Technically none are a full sized since the eyeshadows are from a larger palette, but they are full sized pans so I kind of want to count it as a full sized item. There are two makeup items, a skincare, a hair care, and one perfume, so a pretty good mix. I like boxes that lean more towards skin and beauty stuff, so this looks like the perfect box for me.


The Pop Beauty eyeshadow trio was my sample choice for the month, I'm a sucker for purple eyshadows. I've actually tried a trio from them before that was black, grey, and silver that I didn't like so this was a chance for Pop Beauty to redeem itself for me.


As you can see there's a silver, a plum, and a gunmetal shade, all metallic. These apply so well and feel really creamy. These are part of a larger palette that has almost 40 colors in it and retails for $26, which isn't a bad deal at all.


While not crazy pigmented if you use primer they really stand out. This swatch was just over bare skin. I've worn it out and about already and I really love how they look. These are the perfect fall shades for people with brown eyes.


Another Benefit item, a company I really want to like but so far have been really unhappy with. This time I received their Gimme Brow, which is a brow volumizing fiber gel, so basically a brow mascara.


I swear, Benefit sends the teeniest samples ever. The tube is the size of my pinky finger, so I'm guessing there's maybe a few week's worth of product in there if I'm lucky.


I received the Light/Medium shade, which might be just a bit to light for me. I did like the size of the brush and the formula, I just felt like it didn't fill in my brows as much as I wanted it to. If you just need to tame and unify you brows this would be perfect for you for sure. I'll probably use this to top my brows after I use my wax and powder on them.


I got another sample of the Harvey Price Hello perfume, which also came in the Customer's Favorite box I purchases this month too. Which is great because I LOVE this perfume, it smells so nice. Like a citrusy vanilla dream, so good. I would actually purchase a full sized bottle for sure, even if they are expensive.


I generally like Amika products and usually love getting hair care products in my Birchbox but I'll be shaving off whats left of my hair probably this weekend so I really won't need any hair stuff till the spring probably. This is Amika's Bombshell Blowout Spray, which is actually one I've been wanting to try for a while now. I may save it to use once I am done with the chemo and have hair again, or I may swap it for something I can use now. But I will be changing my survey to reflect my hair change.


Eye cream is one of those things I love but have a ton of, so this is another item I haven't tried yet. The 100% Pure brand is new to me, so I'm looking forward to trying it, and a coffee bean caffeine eye cream sounds intriguing too. It smells really good through the plastic, but the tip is sealed up so I don't want to snip it till I'm ready to use it up. I'll be saving this for when my usual morning eye cream runs out.

I really liked this box and thought it was perfectly curated for me. I wouldn't say it's my favorite box ever but definitely in my top 5 for sure. I'm so glad Birchbox is around and I'm looking forward to the next 5 years with them. Are you a subscriber too? What did you think of your box?

2 comments:

  1. I got my September box which has the Davines Shampoo/Conditioner samples that I want to try and actually smell good! Prayers for endurance and good health during your chemo!

    Ursula aka Blueridge Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Davines is a neat brand, I've tried some of their other stuff through Birchbox. Thanks for the well wishes, I'm halfway done and hoping for a good outcome.

      Delete