Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Tutorial Tuesdays: DIY Coffee Sugar Scrub

There are few things in life that I can't live without, and coffee is right up there in the top 5 for sure. So today I'm going to combine my love for coffee with my love for thrifty homemade bath goodies in this amazing coffee sugar scrub. Most of these ingredients are ones you probably already own and have in your kitchen, or if you don't own will be super easy and cheap to run out and get. You will need


  • Enough whole coffee beans that you'll have 1/4 of a cup of grounds once you grind it up. You can use pre-ground coffee, but why are you drinking coffee made with pre-ground beans? Trust me, grind your own beans.
  • 1/4 cup of sugar. I used white sugar since I was out of brown sugar but you can use either or even a mix of the two if you want.
  • 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, you can leave this out if you don't like or can't use cinnamon. I like how fall coffee shop it made the scrub but the choice is yours.
  • 2 teaspoons of baking soda, this is to help with scrubbing and cleaning your skin.
  • Oil of your choice. I used the last of my almond oil, but you can use pretty much any oil you have.
  • A container to store it in. I prefer plastic since I have a toddler who likes to pick up my bottles in the shower and I'd worry he'd drop and break a glass container. This particular plastic container was a peanut butter container, so I get bonus points for recycling.

First, you want to grind your beans to a medium grind. You don't want chunks of the bean left but you don't want it espresso powder fine either. Think about how it would feel being rubbed on your skin. You only need 1/4 cup of grounds so you won't need a lot of beans for this. The coffee I used was french vanilla infused so the scrub smells extra yummy.


Now add 1/4 of your sugar, either white or brown or a mix of both. Give them a quick mix just to keep clumps from forming in between each step.


Now add your 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon if you are using it, if not then skip this step.


Give it all a quick mix again, doesn't it smell great?


Now add your 2 teaspoons of baking soda then give it a good mix, making sure there are no chunks left.


Now you want to add your oil. The amount will depend on how wet you want your scrub. I prefer mine on the drier end while I know some people prefer a soupier scrub. That's the great part of making it yourself, you can design it to your specific tastes and preferences.


Slowly drizzle it in as you stir, stopping every once in a while to check and see if it is the consistency you want. 


Tada! Your coffee sugar scrub is done! All that's left is to transfer it to your container and you're good to go.


To use just take out however much you need and massage into your skin. Try not to let water get into the jar, that will increase the rate of spoilage. Now remember, this is technically a food product so it will not last forever. Make only as much as you think you can use in a month to prevent it from going bad. Also remember that coffee grounds + hot water = coffee so this is not a great product to use while soaking in the tub unless you like sitting in a giant cup of coffee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment