Sunday, July 12, 2015

A Road Trip and a Funeral

Wow, I am really really terrible at getting a whole week's worth of posts queued up. As I mentioned earlier in the week my husband's Grandmother died so we had to go out of state for a few days for the memorial service and whatnot. After a very long trip I am just drained, so instead of writing something witty about blush I'll just tell you guys about our trip.


From where we live to where we were staying was about an 8 hour drive once you factored in food and bathroom breaks. If you've never driven 8 hours with a 4 year old let me tell you it can suck. Especially when you're in a hurry and can't really stop anywhere. Luckily part of our trip followed the Columbia River (in between Oregon and Washington), so it was a gorgeous drive for about 2 hours.


And then the drive became hot, dry, and full of nothing but beige hills and canyons. This went on for about 4 hours. 4 very loooong hours. Eastern Oregon and Washington are not the most exciting areas to drive through, sorry.


We finally made it to Idaho (where we were staying) and I marveled at my packing skills. Seriously guys, if you travel little bags for your items are the best. The pink rectangle is a jewelry organizer, the red/black bag held all shower/hair items, and the peach flower bag was makeup and face stuff. Made it so much easier to find exactly what I was looking for. Bags, they're the best. Especially when packed in my awesome vintage suitcase that I finally got to use. Pro tip, most vintage luggage is heavier than you think, so pack light. No barbells.

The memorial service was the next day, and I'm honestly not going to talk about that here on my blog. It was a deeply personal, private event and I'm just not comfortable talking about it here. That day was spent pretty much with my husband's family, we didn't do any personal (for us) stuff.


On Friday we took our son into Coeur d'Alene Idaho to explore around. If you ever get the chance to I really recommend it. Not only is it a beautiful town around a beautiful lake but there are lots of fun things to do, like the world's longest floating boardwalk. Which if you get seasick on you might want to skip. Or get sick into the lake....again. You'd think I'd learn?


Seriously though, how pretty is that? I'd love to go back and actually rent a boat (and some Dramamine) for an hour or two and just goof around at the lake the whole day. You can even take a trip around the lake in a pontoon, which is that airplane that lands in water for those who don't know.


We did a little bit of window shopping in the fancy mall there and I found the coolest thing ever, a cotton candy vending machine! I wish I had cash on me so I could have tried it out, but alas my cash gets spent on eyeshadow instead. Have you guys ever seem something like this before? Was the cotton candy good?


And finally on Saturday we packed up, said goodbye to everybody, and started wandering home. We stopped here and there so the trip back home was much more enjoyable than the drive up, we even found a fun indoors farmers market to stop at and get some fun jam. I bought some prickly pear jam and 2 jars of cherry preserves there, can't wait to crack them open and enjoy them. If we didn't have a 6 hour drive I would have bought a bunch of Washington cherries, but they would never have survived the drive home in the heat.

I wish the trip out there had been under better circumstances but it was a good trip over all. I love getting to see where my husband grew up and here the family tell stories, and getting to make new memories with our son there really is the best feeling in the world. But I'm exhausted and ready to sleep for 12 hours straight so I will see you guys on Monday with a brand new manicure.

No comments:

Post a Comment