Monday, June 15, 2015

Mani Monday: Grunge Edition

Hello my Budget Beauties, and welcome to this week'd edition of Mani Monday! This week's design is brought to you by my original color getting stuck and I couldn't open it, but I actually like this look better than what I originally had planned. This look is different in that I DON'T use a clear top coat, I wanted to keep the almost matte look and the interesting texture that I developed with my sponge. This is a grungy look, like metal dipped or splattered in oil. And it was crazy easy to do, so I guarantee all of you can make it work.


To do this manicure you will need:

  • Gunmetal colored nail polish. I'm using Essie brand in the shade Pin The Tassel
  • Black nail polish. I used Sinful Colors in the shade Black on Black
  • Wedge shaped cosmetic sponge. I bought a big bag of these at the Dollar Store for something last year, so I used one of those
  • Nail polish remover and q-tips to clean up the edges

Step one is to apply your gunmetal color as your base. I did two coats for mine, do as many as you need to make it nice and opaque. Let this dry completely before moving onto the next step.


Now you are going to take the black polish and apply some to the tip of the sponge, just kind of making a stripe along the edge. Lightly sponge it over the tip of your nail, doing almost a french manicure stripe of color, then gentle sponge down towards the base of your nail. This will "dirty" up the gunmetal shade and give a nice faded tip. Do this to all of your nails, and remember it's suppose to be grungy so don't worry about making them match or look even.


Once your nails are dry carefully clean up your nails then you are all done! Super quick and super easy, but I love how this looks. And as a bonus it is easy to do on your other hand, which I know can be pretty difficult sometimes. If you have to have a top coat go ahead and throw one on, but I didn't like how shiny it made this particular look. I am really loving this look and I'll be sad to take it off next weekend for next week's Mani Monday. Speaking of which, if there is a nail art design you'd like to see, please let me know down below in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment