Monday, December 15, 2014

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree!

Hello and welcome to this week's edition of Mani Monday! My work Christmas party is today so I thought I'd do something a little festive but would also NOT clash with my dress like the design I had originally planned (doing that one next week). It actually took me forever to decide to do a Christmas tree manicure, which is hilarious since our Christmas tree is LITERALLY right next to my desk. Like if I scoot my chair back and to my left I will be in my tree. I can be a little oblivious sometimes I guess.



To do this manicure you will need:

  • A base color. I used the ELF nail polish in Blush, which is a pretty champagne color I like to use for the holidays.
  • A green nail polish. I'm using that Sally Hansen one again.
  • A red nail polish. Again another ELF polish, I own a lot of them. 
  • A white polish. I'm using another Sally Hansen one.
  • A clear top coat. I'm using the ELF one I keep saying I will replace but keep forgetting to actually replace despite the fact that I've been to Ulta twice this month already and Target twice already.
  • A thin paint brush. I'm actually using the teeny tiny one that came with my teeth bleaching kit.
  • Nail polish remover to clean up your edges.

First, as always, you are going to apply your base coat. I always apply 3 coats of this polish just to make sure it is opaque enough that I can't see the whites of my nail. Let dry completely before moving onto the next step.


Now to start the tree. If you look at drawings of Christmas trees on things like wrapping paper they are either a big triangle or three triangles stacked on top of each other. If you want a big triangle just tape off the edges so you have a triangle and paint away. I wanted the three little triangles so that's what I'll be showing. Paint a small but wide triangle at the tip of your nail, making sure to keep your edges straight and clean. This is where a teeny brush comes in handy. Let this dry completely before moving onto the next step.


Now for the middle triangle. This will slightly overlap the bottom triangle, I just started my bottom edge on each side of the point, then formed it from there. Make this triangle just a wee bit smaller than your first triangle. Make sure the two triangles are solid now, you don't want it to look like two triangles sitting next to each other. Let dry completely before moving onto the next step.


The very last triangle should be the smallest of the three, so be careful not to make it to big. Just like with the middle one, this should just slightly overlap the triangle it is sitting on. Make sure the three triangles look like one solid piece and not three triangles sitting together. Let dry completely before moving onto the next step.


To keep it simple I just did little dots of color for the decorations, but you can add swag and a star on top if you want. To create the balls just dip your paint brush into your desired color then carefully dot it onto the tree. Try not to make it to cluttered, you want to easily see the tree underneath the ornaments. Once done top with clear coat and clean up the edges.


I only did my ring finger as an accent nail, but you could do every nail if you wanted. Or do something different on the other nails, the choice is yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment