Monday, December 8, 2014

Winter Wonderland Mani Monday


As a native Oregonian snow is a rare thing, or at least for the specific area I live in. Rain? We get tons of that. But snow is still that magical thing that makes me want to run around in it and make snow people. There is something just beautiful about snowflakes slowly drifting to earth in order to blanket it in quite. This week's manicure is dedicated to my love of snow.

For this manicure you will need:

  • White nail polish. I'm using a Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear polish in White On that I picked up the other weekend.
  • Blue Polish, preferably with shimmer/glitter. I'm using the Sally Hansen Triple Shine line in Wavy Blue that I picked up at Ulta as well.
  • Clear top coat. My ELF one because I forgot to buy a new bottle.
  • Toothpicks
  • Nail polish remover to clean up your edges.

First, as always, you want to paint your base coat. I recommend 3 coats if it is a glittery polish like mine. Let this dry completely before you move onto the next step.


Now comes the hard stuff. Take your toothpick (or dotting tool or tiny paint brush) and, using the white, draw a line on your nail, going from not quite the top to not quite the bottom. Doing the line in the middle will give you more room to work on the sides, but it can be off center if you would like. Let this dry before moving onto the next bit.


Now you are going to draw a line from the top right corner (leaving yourself space) down to the bottom left, then a second line from the top left to the bottom right. OR you can do two V's, one on each side. I tried both and I think the two lines looks better but the V's were easier to do. Wait for this to dry before moving on.


Now do three little dots on each end of a line to form the prongs of the snowflake. You could also do really short dashes if you want, it just depends on how thick your base lines are. Dots look better with thick lines. Do this to the end of each line and voila! You have a snowflake! Do this to all your nails or just leave it as an accent nail.


This can take practice to look good, so don't be afraid to start over if a nail gets really wonky. And remember, snowflakes are unique so they don't have to perfectly match. Top with your top coat then clean up your edges and you are all done.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I hadn't even though about doing this. I definitely have the stuff! Woot! New nails for me soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! If you do them and post them on Instagram tag me (BestBeautyformyBuck), I'd love to see them

      Delete
    2. loooove these nails! definitely going to try it x

      http://brittslittleblogs.blogspot.com/

      Delete