Wednesday, March 4, 2015

February 2015 Empties

Is is strange that one of my favorite posts is the one where I talk about my garbage? I love looking back at what I used up and figuring out what I actually liked and didn't like instead of just tossing it and then wondering in the store 3 weeks later which lotion gave me a horrible rash. It is also the only time you can really give a fully in depth review of a product. Sometimes that foundation you loved after a week will turn your face orange a month later. February was a decent empties pile, I think there was a day I used up like 4 or 5 items! So let's dig into this pile of garbage and see which ones were the gems in the bunch.


All total I had 19 empties, which is pretty decent I think. The breakdown came out to: 7 makeup, 5 hair care, 5 skin care, and 2 body care items. Two of my project pan items ended up in the empties pile this month, they were the lipstick and the little clear jar. And in the interest of full disclosure, two of the items are not empty, but I'll explain why they are in the pile when I get to them. And for an easy visual reference, this month all items I liked have a little heart on them while all items I disliked have a circle with a slash through it on them.


Yu-Be Moisturizing Skin Cream: (Repurchased) This was a Birchbox sample that I ended up really loving. Winters in Oregon can be super hard on your skin so I used this to protect my son's face from the cold and harsh winds. I also used it on my hands to keep them from getting chaffed from the cold as well. I've already bought a full sized and will buy another one for sure once that runs out. Hands down love this item.

Victoria's Secret Delicate Petals Body Lotion: (Not Repurchasing) A gift from a LONG time ago, I don't actually know if they still sell this scent. It wasn't bad, just not one I'd repurchase. Plus I have a gallon of lotion to slog through before I buy anymore lotion.


Dove Oxygen Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner: (Not Repurchasing) These were a free sample from some program and I ended up hating them. The shampoo had little micro beads that would NOT rinse out of my long hair so I'd spend all day picking them out if they hadn't burst during shampooing. Not OK. The conditioner wasn't bad in all honestly, but I'm trying to be more conscience of the companies I support and Dove does some things I'm not personally OK with so I won't be buying their products if I can help it.

Amika Nourishing Mask: (Not Repurchasing) Another Birchbox sample, It worked OK but for the price I expected a whole lot more out of it. My $8 a tub Organix hair masks blows this out of the water. Really heavily scented too, which can get irritating sometimes.

Tresemme Naturals Shampoo: (Not Repurchasing) This was on sale for just a few bucks so I bought it. I liked it at first but the more I used it the less I liked it. Nothing horrible, just not really a great shampoo.

Psssst! Dry Shampoo: (Repurchasing) This is a constant repeat in the empties pile, I finish a can about every other month typically. This is my favorite dry shampoo, great price and works perfectly for me. Next time Ulta has them on sale I'll be stocking up, though they are only $6 normally so not a big deal to buy them not on sale.


Innarah Defense Masque: (Not Repurchasing) Another Birchbox sample, this is the crazy expensive mask from a box or two ago. A full sized is $125!! Obviously unless it made me sweat diamonds I wasn't going to buy an actual jar. It was a nice moisturizing mask, but not any better than one of my $4 Freeman masks. $125 is seriously ridiculous.

Caudalie Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet: (Undecided) I love Caudalie, their stuff is always amazing but it can be a bit pricey. Its from France so there's all the import costs on top of being a higher end brand. This is basically fancy face lotion, but it made my skin so soft I literally could not stop touching it. I really want a full sized tube but I can't quite talk myself into shelling out almost $40 for it. Especially since I have a ton of face lotions already. If someone wants to buy me some I'd be eternally grateful though.

Dr Brandt Pores No More Vacuum Cleaner: (Undecided) Another brand I like but is a bit higher price than I want to pay. This worked pretty well and the Birchbox sample did last me a while, so I will probably eventually pick up a full sized. Sometimes Marshall's has Dr Brandt items at a discount so fingers crossed that I get luck and find a tube for $20.

Vasanti BrightenUp! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator: (Repurchasing) Also a Birchbox sample and also a higher priced brand, this is a fancy microdermabrasion cream. It isn't quite guilt inducing expensive, so I will probably be pick up a tube for my birthday. Really helped my skin, so I consider it worth the price. Kept the winter dull skin at bay and helped even out my skin tone a bit I thought.

GlamGlow YouthCleanse Daily Exfoliating Cleanser: (Not Repurchasing) I had heard so much hype over the GlamGlow brand that when I managed to snag a free sample of their new cleanser I did a little happy dance. But I really wasn't impressed. Did it clean my skin? Yes, but that was it. Nothing remarkable there, I can buy a face cleaner for less than a Starbucks Latte so why should I pay almost $40 for one? I get that it was a sample so I won't see long term use effects, but if I'm not wowed after 2 uses why would I buy it?


Tarte Clean Slate Poreless Primer: (Not Repurchasing) I had to force myself to use all of this up, I hated it that much. It literally felt like I was putting silicone caulking on my face every time I used it. Felt so thick and heavy, this would actually peel off my face if I tried to spread it thinner. What an awful product, I'm so glad I didn't purchase this (won it in a giveaway).

Dr.Jart+ BB Cream: (Not Repurchasing) This is the second Dr.Jart+ item I've received from Birchbox and I've decided I just don't like their BB Creams. This one was a little better than the Black Label Detox one (which was a greasy mess on my face), but I really didn't like it. Never really felt like it dried, if that makes any sense. Had to be set with powder and then repowdered at least once a day to not look truly awful. I think if you have very dry skin you'd like it, but this was a no go for me.

ELF Clear Top Coat: (Not Repurchasing) This isn't actually empty but it was getting gross and would actually dissolve the nail art I was trying to protect, so out it does. Came in a bundle with some other polish I liked, so no money wasted.

Mary Kay Mineral Powder Foundation: (Not Repurchasing) A friend of mine sells Mary Kay product so every once in a while I'd buy stuff from her. I bought this powder quite a while ago and even though it's only halfway empty it just needs to be tossed. A good color match for me but I can't justify the price when there are powders I like for half the price.

Ulta Super Stretch Fiber Mascara: (Undecided) This came in a free gift bag with purchase that I received over the summer from Ulta. I actually really liked it, I though it did a good job lengthening my lashes without making them all clumpy. Are there mascaras I like more? Of course, but for $10 this isn't bad at all. I may repurchase in the future if I ever run out of mascaras.

Wet and Wild Eyeshadow Depotted into Jar: (Not Repurchasing) This was a Project Pan item, so I'm very happy I finished it up. It came from a Wet and Wild quad that I bought at the Dollar Store, and worked well as a neutral set to keep in my makeup bag, but at this point I have so many other eyeshadows I really don't need to be buying any more.

ELF Tinted Lip Balm in the shade Rose: (Undecided) Another Project Pan item, this was a nice and moisturizing lipstick that I actually wore all the time. I will probably repurchase it in the future, but right now I have a hoard of lip products to work through first. But I highly recommend this for anyone who is looking for a good tinted lip balm.

No comments:

Post a Comment