Wednesday, March 25, 2015

March 2015 Birchbox

One of my favorite parts of each month is when my monthly Birchbox arrives. I always peek and see what I'm getting, but it still feels like a surprise every time. For those who don't know, Birchbox is a monthly beauty subscription box. For $10 a month you get 4-5 deluxe (and sometimes full sized) makeup, hair care, and skin care items delivered right to your door. And if you love an item you can buy it directly from Birchbox, so no scrambling around trying to find it afterwards. You also get points for reviewing items or buying items, and these points become basically gift cards to purchase items from the shop.


This month's theme is Creativity, which I think is a pretty good theme for a beauty box. I always feel super creative when I've got brand new makeup to play with. The box this month is super pretty, it might be my favorite box pattern so far. I'll have to find something extra special to use it for, maybe bead storage or something like that. Birchbox hasn't said why yet but you are recommended to save all of the 2015 patterned boxes. If you save your boxes what do you use them for?


The first look was really great this time, I love seeing a really full box. I received five items this month, two makeup, two skin care, and a hair care item. That's about the best breakdown of a box for me, so I'm pretty pleased with that. No full sized items, which is always a bummer, but I think my samples are all pretty decently sized so I won't complain too much. The only repeat brand to me was a Whish item, so very happy to see lots of new items this time. And nothing had coconut in it, so I can actually use everything!


First item up is my favorite out of my box, the Miranesse Glossy Kiss lip crayon in Perfect Kiss. First, this is a great little size to throw in my bag or my pocket, which is always a nice side perk of having a deluxe sample size. And it does twist up, I hate lip crayons you need to sharpen.


I've never used anything by Mirenesse before and quickly discovered that they are NOT sold here in the states, so it looks like I'll be buying their stuff from Birchbox only. A bit annoying, but I can deal with it.


Look at that swatch, can you see why this is my favorite item? That color is stunning! There's a golden shimmer to it as well, which gives it an extra dimension. The formula is really smooth and applied well without drying my lips out, and the pigmentation is spot on. I've work it twice already since my box arrived on Friday, it just looks amazing on me. And it leaves behind a bit of a stain on the lips, kind of a "just bitten" look. Perfection. A full sized one is a bit more expensive than I'd like at $22 (3 grams), but I will buy one for sure once my little stick is finished. Speaking of my sample, which is half the size of a regular one (1.5 grams), is worth $11. That's the cost of the box right there, so everything else is just icing on the cake.


Oscar Blandi is a brand I hear about all the time but have never actually owned. They tend to be a bit outside of what I'm comfortable spending on hair care products, so I really can't tell you if the brand is good or not. I actually haven't used this yet, it's a Dry Styling Heat Protect Spray, which is awesome but I already have several bottles of stuff that does this. I may save it for when I finish up the spray I'm working on, I haven't decided yet. A full sized can is $24 (4 oz), making my 1.3 oz sample worth $7.80. This is shaping up to be a high value box I think.


I've tried (and liked) the Whish shaving cream, so I knew I'd probably like anything by them. This is a hair inhibiting gel, which, as a person who likes to be smooth but rarely has the time to shave as often as that would entail, is pretty awesome. I've only shaved once since my box arrived (don't judge, it is freezing here still) so I don't know if it is actually working. I like the pomegranate scent and it didn't burn my flesh off so that's a good start. I'll give you an update once I've used it all up. A full sized container is $26 (220 mL), making my sample worth $2.60 (22 mL).


Origins is another brand I've heard lots about but am to cheap to buy anything from. This is their Smarty Plants CC Cream, which is a complexion corrector foundation basically. This is my first CC Cream actually, my skin tone is pretty even so I've never needed one.


First, let me just say that whatever glue they used to attach it to the card will NOT come off. I've been trying to peel it off for days now, I think it has bonded to the tube.


I received the shade light/medium, which looks fine on my hand but when I applied it to my face things went quickly down hill. First, this smells like Fruit Loops. Strongly. Secondly, it applied almost clear on my face once I blended it out. So thinking it was just a sheer coverage I added a second layer to a few areas. Cue 10-15 minutes later and I now have orangish splotches on my face. It apparently takes a while for the "color correcting" to kick in. Not very happy with this at all. It also has tiny little bits of something in it, I will be investigating that more. And because I'm stubborn (aka stupid) I'll try applying it one more time to see if I become a splotchy oompa-loompa again. A full sized is a ridiculous $35 (1.4 fluid oz), making my smelly little tube worth $4.25 (0.17 fluid oz).


Lastly is an item I've heard a lot about, so I'm pretty excited to actually be able to test it and see if it lives up to the hype. This  is Embryolisse's Lait-Creme Concentre 24 hour Miracle Cream. Supposedly it is the stuff makeup artists dream about. Works as a primer, face lotion, makeup remover, and will even sing you to sleep. Ok, I made that last bit up. Probably. Once I finish my current face lotion I'll give this try and see if it is really that amazing. Though at a price tag of $28 for a 75 mL tube it had better be, My itsy bitsy tube is 5 mL, making it worth $1.87.

All total my box came to $27.52. I actually had to double check that, it seemed way to low but that's correct. So not the high value box as I predicted. I liked everything but the CC Cream, so I'm happy with the box. I'll be buying one items out of it for sure, the other's are either outside of my budget range or not something I'd really use on a day to day basis. Not my favorite box for sure, but I'd still call it a good box. What did you think of the box?

No comments:

Post a Comment